Lymph and Lymph Drainage Therapy
Lymph fluid is a composition of mostly water, proteins, cellular waste and other macromolecules. It flushes through the various tissues of the body before being collected into lymph vessels, purified through the lymph nodes and sent through the circulatory system to the kidneys and liver to be recycled & reused or eliminated. As this fluid moves through your body, it collects up proteins, bacteria, viruses, and cellular waste products that otherwise cause stagnation and thus becomes a breeding ground for disease. Lymph fluid also transports dietary fats from the digestive system to the heart & circulatory system. This lymph fluid is directed into and through the various lymph vessels in the body where it goes through lymph nodes to be cleansed & purified as it goes on its way to the heart. When people have node biopsies or node removals, this often causes a backlog of fluid which can permanently damage the lymph vessels and cause lymphedema. Lymph Drainage Therapy (LDT) is a bodywork treatment that manually assists the collection and movement of lymph fluid into and through the lymphatic vessels to be sent through the heart and circulatory system to finally be recycled, reused and/or eliminated through the kidneys and liver. LDT is an essential part of preventive treatment for people who meet risk factors for lymphedema. LDT is also an essential part of treatment for people who have already developed lymphedema and need to keep it managed to prevent further discomforts and complications.
Everyone can benefit from Lymph Drainage Therapy. For healthy individuals, it is beneficial to assist the natural cleansing and detoxification of the lymphatic system, boosting immunity. This helps you to avoid sickness as well as helping you to recover faster from illness. LDT also supports the healing process after an injury or surgery. You will find that with LDT your incision heals faster, the amount of swelling is less and is eliminated much more quickly than without LDT. This type of therapy is commonly prescribed by M.D.s as an integral part of most treatment programs within and outside of the hospital setting.
LDT is beneficial to people with arthritis, as it helps to work the vessels around the joints, helping to reduce swelling within and around the joint capsule. It also helps to reduce pain. Focused treatments are available to specifically target hands,feet, knees, shoulders, and spine.
LDT can be applied to more focused areas of the body for maximum efficiency and function of your body. Example, LDT can be applied around the face, mouth and throat. This would be a beneficial treatment for people with various speech or throat pathologies, for people who clench their jaws or grind their teeth a lot. It would be a good treatment to maintain throat/vocal health of people who are public speakers or singers.
Cosmetically, Lymph Drainage Therapy is used to successfully treat the appearance of wrinkles and cellulite on the body. For best results a series of sessions should be scheduled. Please contact me for more information.
LDT is most commonly used in the United States for the treatment of lymphedema. The main cause of lymphedema in the United States is from breast cancer diagnostics and treatments.
*** I am currently in training to become certified in the Chikly method of Lymph Drainage Therapy as well as to eventually become nationally certified as a Lymphedema Therapist. In order to earn these certifications, I need to do several case studies. I am looking for people with specific conditions and treatment goals to work on for practice and these case studies. If you would like to be considered for a series of treatment sessions at a discounted rate for these purposes, please contact me at 608-780-3993 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lymph drainage therapy provides much benefit to people suffering from a variety of conditions. Conditions shown to be improved with LDT treatments include:
- Facial wrinkles
- Allergies, asthma, or COPD
- Past surgeries or scars, injuries
- Arthritis (RA or OA) – with manifestations in the hands and/or feet primarily, also that may affect the knees and/or shoulders
- Shoulder pathologies: frozen shoulder, inflammation, bursitis, arthritis, rotator cuff tearing or injury, etc.
- Frequent headaches and/or intracranial pressure
- Singers, public speakers, or people with speech pathologies or conditions involving the throat/neck area, including the jaw (TMJ, clenching or grinding teeth, etc)
- Eye surgeries or pathologies including floaters, cloudy vision, headaches around the eye area, dryness, tracking issues, excess moisture/drainage or tearing from the eye, pressure behind the eye.
- Ear surgeries or pathologies, including conditions affecting the outer and/or inner ear, conditions affecting balance or intracranial pressure.
- Nodal biopsies or removals, radiation (must be finished with treatment and several weeks passed to allow the integrity of the skin to be repaired as it is extremely fragile after radiation treatment) or chemotherapy (e.g. diagnostics and treatments for cancers, including breast cancer).
*** please be aware that I am not yet certified to treat stage 1, 2, or 3 lymphedema. I am able to treat stage 0, latent stage of people who meet risk factor criteria for development of lymphedema ***
*** Please be aware that certain medical conditions may require a medical release from your doctor before treatment can begin.
The main reason for this is that because the lymph fluid drains into the heart/circulatory system, it increases the load upon the heart
and could be problematic for people with certain cardiovascular conditions or other conditions. ***